From sports injuries to joint replacements, our professional team of orthopedic surgeons at Mountainstate Orthopedic Associates (MOA) treat a variety of conditions. “Where is my orthopedic surgery performed,” is a common question we get from most of our patients. Our surgeries are performed at the Orthopedic Center at Mon Health Medical Center and the Mon Health Center for Outpatient Surgery. Mon Health has the largest group of experienced orthopedic specialists and surgeons in West Virginia, as their team performs more than 4,000 procedures a year.
Read on to learn more about where you will be receiving medical care as well as our partnership with Mon Health Medical Center.
WHERE IS MY ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY PERFORMED?
MOA will start by suggesting conservative treatment options. Patients who fail to see improvement through those options then undergo surgical treatment. Surgical procedures take place in the state-of-the-art Orthopedic Center at Mon Health Medical Center and the Mon Health Center for Outpatient Surgery. MOA provides quality and complete orthopedic care by educating each patient throughout their medical journey.
The Mon Health Center for Outpatient Surgery is located on the Mon Health campus, and it is designed to facilitate a more efficient outpatient experience through its state-of-the-art equipment and expert orthopedic specialists.
The board-certified team holds specialty surgeries in the following areas, but are not limited to:
- General Orthopedics
- Hip and Knee Joint Reconstruction
- Revision Surgery
- Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Instability
- Fracture Repair
- Ligament Reconstruction and Tendon Repair
- Cartilage Restoration Procedures
- Carpal Tunnel and Trigger Finger Surgery
- Knee and Shoulder Replacements
- Hand and Wrist Surgery
- CMC Arthroplasty
- Dupuytren’s Disease
- Nerve and Tendon Injuries
An outpatient surgical center is designed for patients who have same-day procedures, as they are not required for an overnight hospital stay. Understanding that you have family, work and other obligations, the Mon Health Center for Outpatient Surgery strives to provide a minimally disruptive patient experience. Through the hard work of medical specialists, you are to be back in your daily routine as soon as possible.
If you have an upcoming surgery and need questions answered, please contact the Center for Outpatient Surgery at Mon Health at (304) 413-2200 or our office directly at 304-599-0720.
The Orthopedic Center at the Mon Health Medical Center is located on the first floor of the hospital’s South Tower, to the right of Mon Health’s Garden Entrance. Parking is conveniently located next to the entrance. Patients receiving surgery and their loved ones are a priority at The Orthopedic Center. With its electronic patient tracking board, families and guests are updated with the patient’s surgical progress every step of the way.
The following procedures operated in The Orthopedic Center follow:
- Hip, Knee, Shoulder Replacement
- ACL Reconstruction
- Meniscus Repair
- Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Hand Surgery
- Sports Injuries
- Foot and Ankle Surgery
Patients remaining in the hospital following surgery will be accompanied by a specially trained nurse to one of the designated units.
PREPARING FOR SURGERY AT MON HEALTH CENTER FOR OUTPATIENT SURGERY
Your doctor should provide instructions to properly prepare for your outpatient surgery experience.
- Pre-Admission Testing: Some, but not all, patients require pre-admission testing. Consult with your physician as they will provide an order to the lab of your choice, if required.
- Pre-Admission Call from Mon Health Center for Outpatient Surgery: Gather a list of your medications for the call. Some patients may need to collect medicine containers for their registration process.
- Day Before Surgery: For a quick and smooth visit, it is recommended for you to abide by the following suggestions -
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight
- No chewing gum or tobacco after midnight
- Patients are not allowed to wear makeup, nail polish, perfume, hairpins or jewelry on the day of surgery
- Bring protective cases for glasses, contact lenses, dentures or hearing aids
- Leave all valuables at home
It is also recommended for an adult over the age of 18 years old to drive you home and stay with you 24 hours following the procedure.
Where To Go and What to Bring:
Please bring the following items
- Drivers License
- Insurance Card
- Emergency Contact
- Living Will/Medical Power of Attorney, if not on file
- Any Payments Due
- Medicare/Medicaid Card
Please check in at the front desk when you arrive at the Ambulatory Surgery Center.
What to Expect:
- Before Surgery - You’ll undergo the admission phase of your stay. After a nurse collects your vitals, you’ll be taken to a prep room and provided with the appropriate clothing. Your anesthesiologist and surgeon will review the details of your surgery, and you will then be taken to the operating room.
- After Surgery - Once the surgery is completed, you’ll be taken to a post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) for monitoring and discharge. When discharged, you’ll receive verbal and written instructions for post-operative care at home.
Information for Family and Guests:
When waiting for the patient, please keep in mind different procedures are subject to take different amounts of time. The front desk may assist with and answer any questions.
LET MOUNTAINSTATE ORTHOPEDIC ASSOCIATES HELP YOU
Did you know that roughly 28 million Americans develop musculoskeletal problems (sprains, overuse injuries, joint pain, etc.) every year? Orthopedic surgeons specialize in treating medical issues pertaining to the musculoskeletal system in terms of diagnosis, prevention and rehabilitation practices. From minor body aches to the need for a hip reconstruction, MOA has a long-standing reputation for being a leader in healthcare and we’re here to help you.
At MOA, our compassionate staff works diligently to provide you with the best care to all our patients. We’ve been dedicated to providing comprehensive orthopedic care to the North Central West Virginia area since 1977. Our expertise is showcased in joint pain, fractures, sports injuries, reconstruction and more. The partnership we cherish with Mon Health Medical Center helps to further treat your needs and provide you with a long-lasting, pain-free lifestyle.
If you are in pain and looking for quality medical care, please contact MOA today. Our friendly staff will be happy to help. No referral necessary, fill out this form on our website or call us for an appointment today at (304) 599-0720.